Thursday, November 11, 2010

Worry....


James Bryan Smith says in his book, The Good and the Beautiful Life, that the definition of worry is a “disproportionate level of concern based on an inappropriate measure of fear.”

I am preparing to write a sermon on Matthew 6:25-34, I read Jesus words in the concluding verse.

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

“Do not worry...” I admit, I worry sometimes about how much I have in me to continue the work I do. My deficiencies are glaring to me, and I assume, to others. To name those weaknesses, well, none of us likes to do that. It is not my intent to write a confessional. I am simply being honest in saying that I feel a little empty right now. Out of gas. Tapped out. Malaise is the word of the day.

Perhaps you can help me think about the worries you experience in your life. I am not asking you to write a personal confessional, either. Instead, think about what keeps you from worry, or at least, from worrying more than you do.

How do you understand Jesus when he says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” ?

I promise not to worry about tomorrow if you won’t.

1 comment:

Joel said...

I need to be reminded--again and again--that there is a God and its not me. Over time, I think Sabbath/taking time off is something that helps me soak up that knowledge. Both the time away, but also the time to refocus on God. I like Eugene Peterson's interpretation of the verse from Matthew--something like "Focus on God provision...".