Thursday, July 10, 2008

REMM Journal--#3


Romania Trip, June 2008

(It's been a few days, but the journal continues...)

Sunday, June 8

Traveled to the town of Stei this morning for church. The drive was beautiful and the first time we were able to see the countryside in the light. Fields and pastures. Villages in the distance decorated with the silver, onion bulb spires of Orthodox churches. Mountain on the horizon.

I had my first opportunity to preach. I used the text of Joshua 24, where Joshua challenges the people to serve the Lord. In what had to be a first, Peter Lucaciu, told me that next time I could preach LONGER. On one hand I felt bad that the sermon length was left wanting, but it made me chuckle that for once, I was encouraged to preach a longer sermon. I sang "Christ Alone." Pastor George was our translator during the service and a great host. Here's a video of short clips from our visits to Stei. (We returned later in the week for a clinic.)




We traveled back to Beius for Sunday dinner and rest. I later went with Gaylen, Nicole, and Jackson for dessert at "The Bridge." Trying to be disciplined, I stuck with sparkling water (Water with gas, as they say...), they had desserts. If I ate as much as I could her, I would come back home heavier than when I left, if I'm not already. To be honest, I think I will be back at "The Bridge" often, and I will be eating. These desserts are too good to pass up.


I would like to exercise and run, but my unfamiliarity with the territory and the busy, narrow streets make me hesitant to go out alone. Andrea, Peter Lucaciu's daughter, made me laugh when I shared my concerns about running. She commented, "Yeah, and if a Romanian would see you running, he would say, 'What is that guy running away from?' No one in Romania runs."

We went to another village, Tinca, for the PM. There is a settlement of Gypsies (the Roma) on the edge of town. Words can't simply describe our experience there. The people are darker complected, almost Middle-Eastern in appearance. The women are dressed in colorful clothing, always wearing skirts and scarves. Living conditions appear to be much poorer than the average Romanian.


We worshipped at their church. I was very moved. I preached again--longer this time--and the pastor of the church, another Pastor George, had an altar-call. Apparently he was very moved and touched that I called them brothers and sisters in Christ. The Roma people experience discrimination and exclusion from Romanian society, so to have me as a representative of a team from the States to call them family was important. They were pleased that we would come and operate a clinic for them as well.


During the altar call, many came forward and almost everyone in the church were bowed on their knees as he prayed. Many were weeping. The service itself was powerful, even though I understood only what Peter translated for me. The singing was amazing. They sang some songs with familiar tunes, but their own native music--for lack of a better term--has some of the turns and phrasing of Arabic music. Beautiful.


We will be returning soon for a clinic. Can't wait.

We came back home to Beius for Saramale--a Romanian specialty of seasoned beef or lamb wrapped in a vinegar soaked and boiled cabbage leaf. It reminded me of some of the food that I've eaten in Lebanese and Greek restaurants. Very good.

I finished today spiritually refreshed, affirmed in faith, and glad to be where I am at this moment. I am truly thankful for the fellowship of believers.


3 comments:

Joel said...

Hmmmm...I think I've been in that church in the first picture.
Was pastor George by any chance a former body builder who used to sport a neck beard?
I wish I had a better memory--then I could tell if we've been in the same places.

Joel said...

PS: Were the churches were Hungarian Reformed?

Todd said...

Hah! Neck beard? Not that I'm aware of. I have doubts about the body builder part either, however, I could be surprised.

All the churches we went to had a Baptist background. All of them had baptistries tucked somewhere in the front of the church. The first church was in Stei, the second, in Tinca.