Thursday, March 27, 2008

Somehow, this didn't make it onto the job description...



As the snow fell on Wednesday night--yes, snow on March 26--we all gathered at church for the annual Christian Education fund raiser/auction. Grilled meat, fresh potato salad, and soft serve ice cream were on the menu. Tables were lined with all the items--handcrafted and homemade, coupons for meals at restaurants or at families' homes, toys and treasures, all side by side. And, my favorite part, the auctioneer's call. A limber tongue, strong voice, and a quick wit makes a good auctioneer, and Krommendyk and Co., supplied us well.

All was moving along smoothly. There was laughter in the room and the steady buzz of people having a good time. The food was good and I was enjoying chatting with friends while I kept track of the toys my daughters had spotted that I HAD to bid on--that's another story (Todd as lousy auction bidder/strategist). Anyhow, all this was going on when the auctioneer stops and one of the members from church takes the mic and begins to explain how much I like lemon meringue pie. (Which I do like...) All this moves very quickly to a money making proposition. "Who would pay to see Leah feed Pastor Todd a piece of lemon meringue pie?" Great. People raise their cards and the amount is soon to $200 or so (I threw in $25 as well.) (Edit: They tell me that this stunt raised more than $600 for the auction. If I knew that it had this much potential to make money, I would have volunteered Leah, too.)

So, I come up front and there is another development. We have to do this blindfolded. Hmmm... This is a poorly veiled setup. We know what's coming don't we?

This is me smiling, but thinking, "This is not going to end well."

It all started innocently, with Leah snagging a bite or two for herself.





Things took an unfortunate turn right here...



And the inevitable...



Thanks, Lavonne.



Notice, how clean Leah remains....





Thankfully, everyone there was shocked, simply shocked; dismayed at the indignity I had to suffer. Several women in tears, I'm sad to report.



Other than some meringue and lemon filling up the nose, nothing broken.



I think this whole event somehow falls underneath the whole "servant leadership" model they told us about in seminary. Perhaps being willing to take a pie in the face in good humor could be loosely connected with feet washing.

4 comments:

Joel said...

Whatever happened to "thou shalt not touch the head of the Lord's annointed"?

Anonymous said...

that was good for a chuckle.

Unknown said...

Considering the spontaneity of the event, it was a wonderful coincidence that someone was not only there with a camera but that said photographer also had the presence of mind to get shots of the entire event. There is a career in photojournalism just waiting said person--National Geographic?

Todd said...

While no one told me during the day that this was going to happen, I suspected enough about how this pie episode was going to end that I had time to run home, grab my camera, and have someone from church take the pictures.