Friday, January 18, 2008

Saving My Life


Long time, no talk.

I have been on a back-up binge.

Every couple months, I remember that I haven't backed up my computer for awhile. I blanch a little when I think about all that I could lose if I don't haul out the disks and fire up the DVD burner.

The problem is that it is a pain in the neck. However, whenever I hear the computer at home grind and moan when we do ask it to do something besides play the screensaver, I know that it is something I better do, or else I will regret it someday.

This is what I hate about backing up.
  1. Multiple disk back ups. I love storing pictures. I love I-Tunes. However, for me that's over 17 GB of data on each of our computers. That's small potatoes for some people, I understand, but that's four or five DVD's. It's just a hassle.
  2. Storage. Where do you put those disks anyway? In case of a catastrophe like a fire or a burglary, chances are that your storage disks are going to disappear with your computer, so what's the point. I had looked at picking up an additional disk drive for storage purposes, since the prices have gone way down, but the whole catastrophe thing is still an issue.
  3. Old disks--when is it time to throw out previous back ups? How do you dispose of them in a way that you don't share your data with some guy at the garbage dump who flips your discarded DVD into his disk drive.
  4. Paranoia that when I might need the disks that they won't work.
Then, an epiphany. Online storage! Maybe you all have heard of this before, but there are a number of companies that are now peddling online storage. All you do is download a small program and then upload all your data to a remote storage site. It's encrypted and secure. Here's the great part--once your data is all uploaded it checks your computer regularly and updates changes or additions to your files. Wunderbar! No more DVD's. No more back up hassles. It is well worth the five bucks a month ($50 per year) for the subscription.

Maybe this interests you, or maybe not. But these services satisfy my back up needs as well as provide nourishment to my "tech geek" craving. (Don't get me started about the Mac Book Air.)

I am trying two services right now. At home I am trying Carbonite. They offer a 30 day free trial (no credit card needed for the trial). For the computer I use for work, I am trying Mozy. Both get pretty good reviews, but after I started with Carbonite, I read some good things about Mozy (primarily the fact you can set your own encryption key). Try them out if your interested.

Some words of advice--First, you need a broadband connection. These services need speed and time. Second, be patient. For 15-17 G of data, figure on a week or so for it all to be uploaded. Carbonite doesn't seem to slow your internet browsing too much, and Mozy has a feature where you can throttle your speeds up or down depending on your usage needs. Handy.

Back-up bliss.

No comments: