Friday, December 07, 2007

i love snow.

Nothing like driving through two states in a steady snow. As we prepared to leave for Leah's graduation in E. Lansing, we watched forecasts and radar to see where the snow would be. South looked bad. North looked good. So, we went north... and drove into snow.

We drove past snowplows that either tried to blind us with all the snow they threw into the air or with their their seizure inducing flashing lights. We drove past vehicles in the ditch, some that looked like their might be serious injury involved. We drove on roads that were being coated with a steady snow, making us drive a tedious 15-25 miles per hour less than the speed limit.

I couldn't help but feeling angry at the snow--stupid as that sounds. We had worked so hard to avoid it. We wanted to be so responsible on where we drove and seeing all the advisories were to the south, we thought we'd miss any of the white stuff. Maybe we even felt a little smug that we were so savvy in our planning. It is/was a control issue.

The right answer is that I am supposed to be thankful that we arrived safe. My first inclination, though, is to be frustrated that I had to be worried about our safety. I didn't want the stress of weather added to the stress of traveling in general

Anyhow, after some switching of hotels, we headed into Middleton, west of Madison. We were thankful for a warm bed and a safe trip so far.

Today, we head to E.Lansing. The computer is telling us that we are looking at 375 miles or around 6.5 hours if we can drive at a normal speed. I will be satisfied if I can see where I am going and I don't have to white knuckle the whole drive.

Off to see Leah where a mortarboard and get "hooded."

No comments: